Be a Fab Scientist for a Day!
Looking for something different for your kids to do in the holidays? Our workshops are 5 hours of science fun (and 5 hours of peace and quiet for parents!), they run during most school holidays in Hertfordshire, Essex and Cambridgeshire. Join our mailing list to keep updated.
BOOKING OPEN NOW FOR CHRISTMAS SCIENCE IN DECEMBER
Click here to book via Kidz Central.
If you have trouble booking via Kidz Central, you can access the back up booking system here.
A selection box of festive science to start the holidays with a bang! Be a chemistry detective to sort out the mixed up Christmas cookies and track down a troublesome elf. Find out about heat, energy and insulation to keep our snowmen cool and help the elves in the candy testing lab.
- Cambridge (Queen Edith School) – Saturday 16th December
- Hertford (St Joseph’s in the Park School) – Wednesday 20th December
- Saffron Walden (RA Butler School) – Thursday 21st December
- Chigwell (Chigwell Primary Academy) – Thursday 21st December
- Bishop’s Stortford (Hillmead Primary School) – Friday 22nd December
- St Albans (Garden Fields School) – Friday 22nd December
Who can be a Fab Scientist For A Day?
Boys and girls aged from 5 to 12. You don’t need to already know anything about science but we’ll be really impressed if you do!
How much does it cost?
Each session is £32. Choose any two or three events for the discounted rate of £28 each. Do you have more than one budding scientist in the family? Siblings booking together are charged at £28 each.
Where and when?
All sessions run 10am to 3pm. You are welcome to come back a little early at home time for a ‘show and tell’ to find out what your mini-scientist has been doing all day! All our venues have ample free parking (you can use the staff car-parks in the schools).
Bishop’s Stortford: Hillmead Primary School, Woburn Avenue, Bishop’s Stortford, CM23 4PW.
Saffron Walden: RA Butler School, South Road, Saffron Walden, CB11 3DG.
Cambridge: Queen Edith Primary School, Godwin Way, Cambridge, CB1 8QP. We are in the hall at the far right-hand end of the car park.
Hertford: St Joseph’s in the Park Prep School, St Mary’s Lane, Hertingfordbury, SG14 2LX. Look out for the red-brick gatehouse just after the church.
St Albans: Garden Fields Primary School, Townsend Drive, St Albans, AL3 5RL but use AL3 5RJ for satnav. We are in the Lower School hall, look out for our banner and signs on the gate.
Chigwell: Chigwell Primary Academy, 50 High Road, Chigwell, IG7 6DW. The school is on an unnamed lane and satnav doesn’t like it. This lane is accessed from the roundabout opposite the new Grange housing development. It is NOT Chigwell School! Google map here.
What is included?
We provide all of the experiments, equipment and safety goggles. There will be squash and water available as well as something to keep us all going at snack-time. Your mini-scientist may bring home some of their creations, as well as ideas on ‘kitchen science’ to do at home.
A packed lunch, please make sure this is in a named bag and do not include any foods containing nuts. Please remember that science can get messy so please wear clothes that you don’t mind being ‘experimented’ in!
Can a child with special educational needs be a Fab Scientist for a Day?
Absolutely! All of our leaders have experience working with kids with a range of additional needs. It is really important that you let us know beforehand though so that we can tailor the activities to your child. Please contact us to discuss what we can do for your mini-scientist!
Are the activities safe?
All of our experiments are specifically chosen to be kid-safe. We use child-friendly materials and have safety goggles for rocket launches and volcanic ‘eruptions’. Although we don’t use anything toxic or nasty, we do make sure that children know that they must not eat anything in the ‘lab’ (neat baking powder does not taste nice!).
How do I book?
Visit our online booking portal at Kidz Central to book places at holiday clubs. Register your children once and never need to enter all of your details again! If you have any questions feel free to get in touch: email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07799 624777.
Anything else that I need to know?
Here are a few T&Cs, please have a read before booking.
- It is the responsibility of the parent/carer to provide a packed lunch and suitable clothing (ie, clothes that you don’t mind getting messy). We do not take responsibility for any valuables.
- Any child whose behaviour risks harm to themselves or others, or spoils the enjoyment of other children would be asked to sit out and do ‘quiet’ activities. Parents would be informed in this case and no refunds given.
- By submitting the booking form you give consent for emergency first aid to be given by persons trained to do so.
- No refunds are available for cancellation by you, transferring a place to another child is allowed (the child must be within the age range and a new booking form must be completed BEFORE the event).
- It is responsibility of the parent/carer to inform Fab Science or any allergies or medical conditions and to provide asthma inhalers or epipens as necessary. Children who have been prescribed an inhaler or epipen will not be admitted without it.
- We cannot accept children into our holiday clubs who are unwell. or who have been sick within the last 48 hours. If a child becomes unwell during the day, they will need to be collected as soon as possible. Our staff cannot administer any medicines (with the exception of asthma inhalers and epipens).
- You accept our full terms and conditions which can be found by clicking here.